Learning Disability Week 2020
It is Learning Disability Week next week (15th-21st June) and the theme is “The Importance of Friendships in Lockdown”. Mencap are encouraging people to post stories on social media about friendships, maybe with a picture or even a video.
Please can you use your social media outlets to raise awareness of LD Week and encourage your staff, members, service users and other networks to get involved? They can tell their stories about how important friendships have been during lockdown to reduce the sense of isolation and loneliness.
As an example, Swindon Advocacy Movement will be posting about;
- Their Info/Activity Packs and how to make a referral for them – next week’s pack activities will focus on friendships
- How they have worked to keep their members connected including the Phone Buddies scheme
- Posting quotes from their members about how SAM have facilitated them to stay connected to their friends and how important that has been to them
- Messages from members to their friends
- A video from one of their members about friendship and staying in touch during lockdown
Please tag SAM’s Facebook page in case anyone would like to make a referral for their activity pack www.facebook.com/SWINDONADVOCACY and share your stories of how you’ve helped people keep in touch with friends during lockdown as much as you can. You could also do some activities about friendships and how important they are with your service users.
If you don’t have any social media outlets SAM are very happy to receive any photos/videos/stories via email to Sally Whitehead – email@example.com and she will post them on SAM’s Facebook